Saturday, May 26, 2007

ROAD GRAFFITI BY THE ELLENDALE GRADUATING CLASS OF 07

One of my favorite stretches of prairie road is about 20 miles west of Ellendale. At that point, highway 11, which is about five miles from the South Dakota border, takes a sharp incline to the top of the Missouri Couteau. The Missouri Coteau is one of the four major geological boundaries in our state. East of the boundary the terrain is mostly flat. But the coteau region is hilly and rolling with lots of lakes. And lots of wildlife.

A week ago, the coteau incline on Highway 11 became home to a small work of art. The seniors at Ellendale High School painted a little mural there, pink with white outlines. Seniors everywhere have celebrated their passage with works of art. This one I though was especially noteworthy. First, it's inclusive. It's got the initials of ALL the graduating seniors. Second, it's got an explanation of the color. It should be red--the local mascot is the cardinals--but it's pink. "Wal-mart was out of red paint. O well," Says the postscript on the mural. How polite of the artists to explain their color scheme! And how very Midwestern.

I presume highway graffiti is illegal. But I doubt that any local police would have the heart to prosecute the artists. In a few months I presume the work of art will wear away. In a year it will be barely noticeable. But I bet the kids in the 2007 graduating class will remember it for decades. I won't forget it myself.

No comments: